Sup fake spring? We’re ready to rock your face and help melt faces AND snow. So come hang out tomorrow with us, Iron Chic, Timeshares, Martin and Crybaby! First Unitarian Church in Philly. Doors are 6pm, show at 6:30. YES.
It’s been a cold start to the new year but that’s not slowing us down one bit. Tom has his first show with his new band Fog Cult at the Funhouse this friday if you’re in the mood for some stoner rock. For real, it’s going to be amazing.
Besides Tom’s other band, Slingshot has started writing our new album. Two solid songs written, many more to go! But, we are extremely excited about releasing a fun album and can’t wait to continue the writing process! We have a few shows coming up, and a few more we can’t announce yet ;) Here’s some info!
February 23, 2014 w/Iron Chic in Philly!
First Unitarian Church. 6pm. $10
Iron Chic, SD, Timeshares, Martin and Beach Slang
March 28, 2014 Today’s Mixtapes Pre-fest in Long Island
Amityville Music Hall. 5:30 pm. $12/16+ (sorry, we’ll come back and play an all ages show)
Old Gray, Cryptodira, SD, Prawn and Sorority Noise
Hope to see ya soon! <3
Lots of love,
Instead of throwing together our individual “Top Ten” lists, I (tom) decided to throw together a list of stuff that Carly and I bump in the van while on tour. While I do most of the driving, I get to play mostly whatever I want (much to Carly’s disappointment - haha), so to make this interesting, I have attempted to put together a list of stuff that we both love and keeps us going on the long highways and shitty traffic.
(***items in bold are 2013 releases)
1. PODCASTS - We LOOOOVE podcasts! Our favorite of the year is Duncan Trussell’s two-part interview with his mom… seriously, listen to it- it will change your life. Other ‘casts we love: This American Life, Fresh Air, Doug Loves Movies, WTF? w/ Marc Maron, The Nerdist, and Stuff You Should Know.
2. SILENCE - This is a new thing for us in 2013… long drives with no radio and no talking. It feels great to process your thoughts while taking in the changing landscape.
3. RiFF RAFF - “Birth of an Icon” and “Hologram Panda” - No joke, Mr. Highroller is our boy. Can’t wait for “The Neon Icon” to drop in 2014!
4. Wye Oak - “Civilian” - Soooooooooo goooooooood! I was late to the game and finally found out that they broke up. UGH.
5. Chairlift - “Something” - Caroline Polachek has the most wonderful voice ever.
6. Cloakroom - “Infinity” - This is probably Slingshot’s record of the year for 2013. Such a gorgeous album that is so simple, yet so crushingly beautiful. We saw them play at I Got Brains Fest and I cried my eyes out.
7. Tancred - “s/t” - We love Jess to death… like that kind when you hug someone so tight, they can’t breathe and you’re clenching your teeth so much that they might crack. This record owns. Also, she used to have a band called Kids’ Fiction, and we played the hell out of that EP as well… try and find it on the Google machine!!!
8. Midlake - “The Trials of Van Occupanther” - Just listen to the first song, “Roscoe”… it is one of my favorite songs of all time.
9. Pearl Jam - everything - Yes, we fully back PJ… I feel sorry for all the haters.
10. Fleetwood Mac - “Rumours” & “Greatest Hits” - Turn it up and drive into the sunset!
Others that got steady play - Purity Ring, Lil B, Iron & Wine, Mansions, Metric, Now Now, Pinback, Smashing Pumpkins, Tigers Jaw, Title Fight, Wye Oak, 1994!
We just want to take the time to thank all of our friends for making 2013 a wonderful year for us. We calculated that we toured for 5 months this year.. the longest amount of touring we’ve done as a band.. and we couldn’t have done it without you. Thank you to all of our friends and supporters who value what we do. Thank you to Topshelf Records, Greg Horbal, TWIAB, Koji, Title Fight, Cruel Hand, Balance and Composure, Owen, Allison Weiss, Frameworks, Duck Little Brother, Into It. Over It., Static Age and the countless other amazing musicians we’ve had the honor of touring and/or performing with. Thank you to all of the festivals, such as Bled Fest and Fest, for having us as part of your roster. Thank you to our friends who came out to see us play, housed us after shows, and to our awesome roadies that had to eat taco bell for days. We play music because we love it. This is not a career move, as both of us work part-time in restaurants and record stores when we’re home, but we love it so much that we make it work. We can’t thank you all enough for helping us do what we love, even if it meant just giving our music a listen on the internet. Thank you from the very bottom of our hearts for making this year possible. We love you so much!
We’ll be playing a Girls Rock benefit show on January 10th, 2014 in Bethlehem, PA. Details will be coming soon. Other than that, we are going to focus on writing the new record and also starting another band. We’ll be in show hibernation until the Great Emo Revival of 2013 blows over, but should you want to pull us out, you can write us at firstname.lastname@example.org for show inquiries.
Thank you and we wish you a happy near year full of love, light and endless happiness.
Carly and Tom <3